Sunday, April 11, 2004

Playoff Hockey


So I was watching hockey playoffs today, Nashville vs Detroit. It didn't really matter who was playing though. I root for the underdog if my team isn't playing, in this case Nashville.

Towards the end of the first period, about 1:30 left, Nashville scored the first goal of the game, a nice short-handed shot.

The game was in Nashville and Detroit already leads the series 2-1. Of course the fans went nuts. The fans always go nuts when the home team scores but this is playoff hockey.

Playoff hockey is different. I almost forget the feeling until I see the fans on their feet, waving their white towels, or pom-poms, hugging their neighbors. This is only the first round, but that doesn't matter.

And I found myself, as the players congratulated the scorer and hugged on the ice, a tear starting in my eye.

Yes this is corny. Yes, this is why guys make fun of girls who say they like sports, yes, I know all of this. But I am writing it anyway.

I found myself happy and sad at the same time. Happy for these guys, their first playoff win in site (which they proceeded to achieve by the way). Sad for me, and my team, because once again we haven't made it to the playoffs.

It's always bittersweet, this time of year. I feel relieved that I don't have to go into debt to afford the playoff package, but damn it I want a Stanley Cup!

If you are a sports fan, hockey not exclusive, you probably understand this feeling. I know from the best sports-moments thread that some of you vividly can recall second by second a sporting moment. Well for hockey fans, the time is now. Now until the final Stanley Cup Playoff game in June. And it's awesome!!!!

Well anyway, go team, and go fans! And I am gonna go watch the Boston/Montreal game...

9 comments:

  1. A true hockey fan should never be rooting for Nashville... or Tampa Bay... or Carolina... or any team that plays south of say, Washington DC. Canada has been all but stripped of its national pastime thanks to greed. To properly honor the memory of the great fans in Winnipeg and Quebec, I make it a point to always root for the Canadian team, or in this case the "original six" team from Detroit (which is practically Canada anyway).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make it a point to always root against Detroit.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like the Caps got a nice consolation prize for having a down year, getting the first overall draft pick in the draft lottery gets them the next Mario (if you believe the hype).

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah, it's good news even though we won't see him in the nhl for a while. With the exception of Olie the goalie and a couple of other players, it's a team of 18 and 19 year olds. I guess the future looks bright.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here's one female hockey fan raising a glass to another! I agree with how playoff hockey can stir some pretty intense feelings!

    But being a Flyers fan, lately my playoff experience is joy in the first few rounds, followed by some bitter disappointments. But I can't not watch...

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Flyer's playoff runs the past couple of years have been very dissapointing. It is like a car accident, you know you it is gonna be ugly but you can't look away. Playoff hockey is such a game of momentum. Of course the Flyers had another great regular season, but managed to close it out by losing Desjardins for the entire playoffs and Esche not able to stop shots from center ice.. It is tough to be a Philly fan but nice to see that are still others.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As an Islander fan from Queens, now temporarily living in Florida, too young to appreciate, let alone remember the Stanley Cup teams of the 1980s, the playoffs are fairly new to me. I remember their nice run in 92-93 until the Dale 'head' Hunter ambushed Pierre Turgeon well after his goal, basically ending the cup hopes of the islanders, though we got thru that series only to be easily beaten by montreal. Hunter should have been suspended for life for that hit. I would like to see this Isle team get out of the 1st round.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not even being an Islander fan, Dale Hunter definitely wins my vote for dirtiest player of all time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. and he was a Cap. I met him at his retirement party a couple seasons ago. He was drunk :)

    ReplyDelete