Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Have a Nice Day Tour

Rating:★★★★
Category:Music
Genre: Rock
Artist:Bon Jovi
So I saw Bon Jovi in concert the other night at MGM Grand. I haven't been a big fan for years, but was obviously a fan back in the late '80's/early 90's. 'Slippery When Wet' defined a whole era of my life. I know I am not alone here. Of course the album 'New Jersey' also had it's share of memorable tracks. I have only heard their newer stuff when channel surfing the Top 40 radio stations or VH1 countdowns. 'It's My Life' was catchy and the current hit 'Have a Nice Day' also has an easy sing-along sound. I wasn't sure what to expect of the concert. I never saw them live and the only concert footage I can recall was long haired, leather clad, flying through the arena rock.

When the lights went down, and the band took the stage, we all took to our feet, out of excitement, out of respect, uncontrollable jumping up and clapping. Jon Bon Jovi however was not on the stage with the others. A spotlight appeared and Jon was out on the opposite side of the arena, on a small stage in the midst of the crowd. He sang the first song from this mini stage and the fans went crazy. When the song ended, he made his way through the crowd and climbed up on stage, just in time for the very obvious beginning of "You Give Love a Bad Name". It was awesome. The crowd sang along. I sang along.

Some surprises:
  • I know Jon Bon Jovi is a good looking fellow. I didn't realize he still looks incredible in leather pants.

  • I like when the artists dance and groove to the music. I didn't realize Jon Bon Jovi channels his inner Mick Jagger. His sway and foot work were amazingly reminiscent of the sometimes effeminate Jagger.

  • I like when other band members take over the singing. But when Jon called up Richie Sambora, for a 'what he called' cleansing of sorts, to take lead on "I'll Be There For You" there were very few people in the crowd that didn't get the symbolism as Sambora is in the midst of a very public separation to Heather Locklear. His voice was good.


Some highlights:
  • Jon Bon Jovi took us on a ride in a time machine, counting back, methodically, almost spiritually, year by year from 2006 back to 1983. He stopped at '83 and told a story of a young guy, long hair, driving down the LIE (Long Island Expressway for you non NY metro peeps), to a radio station with a tape in hand, asking the DJ to play his song on the air, promising the DJ this band will be a big success. The song, which the band then broke into, was 'Runaway'. Awesome.

  • I thought I was one of the very few that bought Jon Bon Jovi's solo album, 1990's 'Blaze Of Glory: Songs Written And Performed By Jon Bon Jovi, Inspired By The Film Young Guns II', but apparently not. At a point during the show, Jon disappeared from the stage again, and showed up in the upper level side of stage on what looked like a pedestal, with his acoustic guitar. He sang two songs from the solo album. Excellent.

  • The aforementioned Sambora solo

  • Last encore, we still had not heard 'Wanted, Dead or Alive'. We knew it was coming. It had to be coming. Jon was thanking everyone, telling them how much fun they have been having in Vegas. He then said, "if you aren't standing yet, please rise for our nation's anthem", and they broke into 'Wanted'. Very cool.


This was the last show of this leg of the tour. They are heading to Europe and then later in the summer coming back to the states for an arena tour. I would recommend it. The new stuff was catchy enough, but it is very worth it for the classic hits.

Set List
:: March 11, 2006 - Las Vegas, NV - MGM Grand Arena ::
LAST MAN STANDING, YOU GIVE LOVE A BAD NAME, WILD IN THE STREETS, COMPLICATED, BORN TO BE MY BABY, STORY OF MY LIFE, I'LL SLEEP WHEN I'M DEAD, RUNAWAY, THE RADIO SAVED MY LIFE TONIGHT, BOUNCE, IN THESE ARMS, I WANT TO BE LOVED, I'LL BE THERE FOR YOU (featuring Richie Sambora on lead vocals - electric version), I WON'T BACK DOWN (Tom Petty cover as intro to...), HAVE A NICE DAY, WHO SAYS YOU CAN'T GO HOME, IT'S MY LIFE, BLAZE OF GLORY (acoustic), BED OF ROSES (acoustic), BAD MEDICINE (with the classic Song "GLORIA" inserted in the middle), RAISE YOUR HANDS, LIVIN' ON A PRAYER. Encores: I'D DIE FOR YOU, LAST CIGARETTE, KEEP THE FAITH, GREAT BALLS OF FIRE (cover of the Jerry Lee Lewis classic), SOMEDAY I'LL BE SATURDAY NIGHT, WANTED DEAD OR ALIVE, NEVER SAY GOODBYE (acoustic).

4 comments:

  1. Jodi,

    You are such an amazing writer. You should do columns, reviews, etc....ever thought of it?! Hugs, Shari

    ReplyDelete
  2. It figures, moving to Vegas may have actually given you more opportunities like this - sounds like a great show, and I'm not even a big Bon Jovi fan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So jealous. Sounds great. Your review almost made me feel as if I were there. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw Bon Jovi in the summer of '87 at Madison Square Garden for the Slippery When Wet tour. During the middle of the concert a pulley picked him up off the main stage and carried him over the audience to the middle of the floor where it put him down on a pedestal - like you suggested this concert began - where he sang Dead or Alive. Can't believe that was almost 20 years ago.

    Sounds like they still put on a good show. Glad you had a good time.

    ReplyDelete