Wednesday, May 3, 2006

M:I 3 (Mission Impossible 3)

Rating:★★★★
Category:Movies
Genre: Action & Adventure
Plot Outline: IMF leader Ethan Hunt comes face to face with a dangerous and sadistic arms dealer while trying to keep his identity secret in order to protect his girlfriend.


I am having a little trouble writing this review. The biggest reason is I can't remember any details about the first 2 MI movies. Now that shouldn't affect my judgement on the 3rd, but it does. I like to compare sequels to their earlier releases, but I have no memory of them. I saw them both. I believe I liked them both. I know Tom Cruise starred in both. He played Ethan Hunt. That is all I remember.... so let's look at M:I 3 as a stand alone movie.

It has action. Oh boy does it have action. There were at least 4 times I had to stop myself and say "breathe, Jodi". It has 'edge of seat' action.

It has Philip Seymour Hoffman. This should be enough reason alone to go. I love PSH. Generally a character actor, his role in M:I 3 is no different, although less over the top, more subtle, definitely bad-ass.

The storyline is pretty good. You can see J. J. Abrams influence all over the place. I won't list any spoilers, but Felicity, I mean Keri Russell, shows her inner Sydney Bristow (Alias reference for those of you who don't know J. J. Abrams was the creator of both Alias and Felicity (and Lost and ...). Greg Grunberg also makes a very brief appearance. He has had a cameo in just about every J. J. Abrams TV show so when I saw him pop-up in M:I 3, I chuckled out loud- although I am sure no one knew why...

I would recommend this movie, because basically it is going to be exactly what you expect. What could have hurt it, because you know there would be spectacular special affects and non-stop action, would be the storyline. But it was solid enough for an action movie, a couple little plot twists kept in interesting. If you want a fun action movie, go see M:I 3.

8 comments:

  1. I think what would hurt it for me is an inability to separate Tom Cruise's character from his real-world lunacy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. See, that's where I am. I didn't see MI: 2, but I remember liking the first Mission Impossible (I find Ving Rhames to be incredibly sexy). But I can't watch Tom Cruise anymore. Just as in the past I always waited for Keanu Reeves to follow up any sentence with "Dude!," I now wait for Tom Cruise to jump up on a couch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I felt that way with War of the Worlds, but I guess I was able to separate it. He is nuts, but I can still watch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the review... No more Tom Cruise movies for me though! Just one more person I wish would go away...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can we put Tom Cruise and Mel Gibson in that glass box at Superman's house in the North Pole? That way we can take away their super powers just like in Superman 2.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review Jodi...very well written as always. I see a future coorespondance position with E! in you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i know. i even laughed when i heard that little violin riff in the middle of the film. it was sooo Abrams.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whew! As usual you were right on. Went to see it on your word and actually did have trouble breathing at times. Never ever was a Tom Cruise fan but have seen all 3 movies and enjoyed them all. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete