Sunday, May 27, 2007

Waitress

Rating:★★★★★
Category:Movies
Genre: Romance
I saw this movie last week at a sneak preview, but haven't had a chance to write this review until now. I think the movie has now been released. It was a huge hit at the Sundance Film Festival last year and after seeing it, I have to agree.

I chose the genre Romance, but Comedy would have worked too. This movie is the story of small town waitress Jenna, played by Keri Russell of Felicity fame. She is stuck in a horrible marriage with a real loser of a husband (played by Six Feet Under's Jeremy Sisto). Her one true joy is baking pies, which she does regularly. The diner she works at it called Joe's Pie Diner. Throughout the movie she creates (or imagines creating) new pies with crazy names like "I-Hate-My-Husband Pie".

This is what I would call a chick flick- BUT the men in the audience laughed and enjoyed it as much as the women. Probably a perfect date movie.

Personally I would have enjoyed anything including 104 minutes of Nathan Fillion (male costar- known to me from Firefly [TV] and Serenity [Film]). His character, that of the new town doctor, is so charming and kind, the audience completely falls for him along with Jenna.

The co starring roles of the other two waitresses, Cheryl Hines and Adrienne Shelley (who wrote and directed the film) added so much flavor. And I especially liked Andy Griffith as the diner owner, Joe. This was a terrific role to see Griffith in, as an old grumpy wise curmudgeon who wins us over in the end, just like most of the characters do.

The main premise of this story however, and not really a spoiler, is when Jenna realizes she is pregnant. She doesn't want to be a mom, but not having the baby is never even considered as an option. The film in the end is really about what a woman goes through in those nine months, and the love story really becomes that of mom and child.

You will laugh and you will cry and you will enjoy this movie. I am sure of it...

On a sad note, the writer/director/co-star, Adrienne Shelley, was murdered in October 2006, and never got to see the success of her semi-autobiographical film.

3 comments:

  1. I've been wanting to see this movie too! It looks really good. Thanks for the review.

    The death of Adrienne Shelley was very sad for me too as I met her a few times when I lived downtown and she seemed like such a nice, down to earth woman and wonderful mother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to see it too, but with 2 kids, our movie opportunities are few and far between. And with this in limited release, it isn't playing anywhere near us. But thanks for the review, I'm so glad you liked it. Maybe I can catch it on pay-per-view!

    I thought the murder of Adrienne Shelley was terrible too. How sad she never got to see her end result.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i saw the movie and enjoyed it---it's nice to see a movie every once in a while when all the loose ends are wrapped up in a pretty bow like a typical disney ending. i llike the cast exept the doctor, who just played up his good ole boy, aw shucks attitude too much;.---waanted to kick him in the ass and get him to move on with his life. he was a very unbelievable character. but, it's nice to walk out of a movie and not have knots in your stomaach

    ReplyDelete