Wednesday, September 15, 2004

HBO's The Wire Premiere Party


he is drunk :)

Last night (9/14) I was fortunate enough to attend HBO's 'The Wire' premiere in NY. The premiere was at Chelsea West Theaters and dinner/party afterwards was at Vento.

It was kind of hard to take pictures (because I didn't want to annoy anyone) but I got a few (and someone is hopefully sending me the picture they took of me and Michael K. Williams (Omar)).

The show was great. It premieres this Sunday on HBO (9/18) so you should definitely catch it. If you haven't watched the 1st two seasons it may be a little hard to get into it now... the stories are kind of complex.

My goals for the night were to meet Dominic West (McNulty and star of many movies including the new one w/Julianne Moore- 'The Forgotten'), Michael K. Williams (Omar) and Idris Elba (Stringer Bell).

Goals accomplished.

Once there I realized I also really wanted to meet Andre Royo (Bubbles) and Chris Bauer (Frank Sobotka on 'The Wire' and Fred Yokas on 'Third Watch').

Accomplished.

I told Chris Bauer how amazing he was this past season on The Wire and how I have watched him for years on Third Watch. He said he has been disappointed with Third Watch, 'third watch doesn't let me do anything' (meaning acting wise).

I danced with Dominic West (who was very drunk- see the photos below) and chatted with Jim True-Frost (Detective Roland "Prez" Pryzbylewski), Callie Thorne (McNulty's ex-wife, now Sheila on FX's Rescue Me), Domenick Lombardozzi (Detective Thomas "Herc" Hauk) and Delaney Williams (Sergeant Jay Landsman). I hung out with Richard Burton (Shamrock) and his pal Moses.

Tameka and I had a very funny discussion with Pablo Schreiber (Nick Sobotka) about how most actors are so much shorter in real life, except he was much much taller than he appeared on TV, it was funny- maybe you had to be there...

I boogied with Andre Royo (Bubbles) and Michael K. Williams (Omar) and discussed Baltimore with David Simon (Executive Producer, Creator of The Wire).

The only people that weren't there that I would have liked to have met were James Ransone (Ziggy Sobotka) and Wood Harris (Avon Barksdale).

It was a blast. I have to totally thank Tameka for the invite and the opportunity to squeeze Dominic West's ass (another goal accomplished)...

15 comments:

  1. Its really cool that you got to go - I love that show.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yep. he is British and although doesn't have an accent on The Wire, in person it was a very heavy accent, although maybe he was just slurring his words :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks, yeah- the show rocks. Not as many people are into as some of HBO's other shows but if they gave it the time to get into, they'd be totally hooked. I am.

    ReplyDelete
  4. sounds like fun! that's cool that you went. i would love to meet Chris Noth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. surprisingly Chris Noth looked horrible. His hair was all messy and he gained some weight. I didn't meet him, just saw him there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. bummer....well you got to dance with a cutie! so that's pretty cool!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Wire is THE BEST show on TV. I am psyched for the premiere on Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an opportunity. Glad you got to go and have such a great time.
    What's next?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I see you were rockin' the hot poncho again. Nice! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. yep, although I could literally have worn anything.

    People were dressed in so many ways it was crazy. From nice cocktail dresses to sweatsuits...

    ReplyDelete
  11. He is very hot. I think I'd forgive his drunkenness if I could manage a grope. =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. totally.

    before we took the picture I took the liberty of tucking his shirt in his pants so he wouldn't look totally disheveled. he didn't seem to mind.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. go Jodi!!!! is there anything else you'd like to share about the evening??? ;-)

    ReplyDelete