Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Dave Grohl is my boyfriend

Rating:★★★★
Category:Other
Dave Grohl, front man for the band Foo Fighters, is my boyfriend. Ok, maybe not, but he wishes (ok, that's not true either). BUT the Foo Fighters (and Weezer) at the Patriot Center last night ROCKED.

I have been a fan of Foo since the beginning, but really started loving them with the release of the album 'There Is Nothing Left to Lose' and the single "Learn to Fly". Then the album 'One by One' with "Times Like These", then 'The Colour and the Shape' with the hits "Monkey Wrench", "My Hero", "Everlong"... well heard them all last night.

The new album is good. Grohl screams. a lot. This album has a lot more screaming then the previous albums. Grohl is a good screamer.

Seeing the Foo Fighters in Northern Virginia is a real treat because Grohl is from the area. His parents were at the show, which he dedicated a song to them, spotlight on them the whole time (they were near me and I think a little embarrassed by the spotlight). Grohl's wife was there. Grohl's old high school buddies were there. Stories of growing up in the area were told. Stories of getting high at the very college we were seeing him at now, were told.

A memorable highlight- the drummer, Taylor Hawkins, sang one song - but the highlight was Grohl switched into his alter ego drummer persona and I GOT TO SEE GROHL DRUM LIVE. That was great. I never had the opportunity to see Nirvana in concert, and although critics no longer dissect Foo Fighters with comparisons to Nirvana, Grohl is a kick ass drummer and it was a really exciting moment.

The encore was a sing along to "Breakout". It was a big party and it was great.

The opening band was the Kaiser Chiefs, but I was out in the beer tent at that point and didn't see them. Then came out Weezer, who also played on the bill, and, although I am not a huge Weezer fan, I hadn't realized how many good hits they have. They are a fun band. They joke around, they are geeks and nerds and proud of it. They all play multiple instruments and they all sing and they kept rotating around the stage switching singers and instruments. That was pretty cool.

Back to Foo-
Once again I was on the floor (pit) and could have moshed and crowd surfed, but I hung back this time... I am getting old, you know. Grohl did take a moment and ask the demographics of the crowd- asking for screams to acknowledge teenagers, twenty-somethings, thirties (whoa-ho), forties and fifties. People screamed for every group. It was an extremely diverse audience (age-wise anyway). And everyone had a rocking good time.

I recommend the show if you like to rock :)

again- my phone takes crappy pictures, but it's all I had...

also check out my entry on the Foo Fighters private show in DC.

10 comments:

  1. Man, and I thought Dave was my boyfriend! I hope you and I don't come to blow, Jodi! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny, Kayt. the more people I talk to, the more I find are dating Dave. Hmph!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So jealous! Sounds like a kickass show.
    My husband knows where Dave Grohl's Alexandria home is. Maybe we should go trick-or-treating there for Halloween. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Andrij and I are going to see them tomorrow night in Philly - I can't wait!

    And no, Dave Grohl is not my boyfriend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have fun Dave. And make sure to tell Grohl to stop calling me. It's sooo over.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Walter and I saw this show in South Florida. The foo fighter's rocked, they were loud and sounded great. Weezer, however, was very boring. Weezer shoulnd't be playing to an Arena crowd. I hope they realize that and find some smaller venues in the future.

    4 stars for the foo fighter's
    1 star for weezer

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll at least tell him to wait until after his wife runs off with me to call you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember the days when Jodi maintained that every hot NHL player in the world was her boyfriend

    ReplyDelete