Thursday, March 22, 2007

Lord Stanley's Cup




Finally, after missing it the last two times it came to our building, on a coincidental business trip to DC, I got to see/touch it. For anyone who might wonder, sometimes it comes to USA TODAY (where I work) to the Sports section... a crowd always gathers...

Probably most of you know I am a bit of a hockey fan. Well over the last few years, Lord Stanley's Cup has visited my DC office and each time I have, for some uncool reason, not been around.

Now I no longer work in the DC office and have moved to Las Vegas, and this week's DC business trip was definitely NOT fun- BUT it ended up turning around in a heart beat when I received the best email ever on my cell phone- it said only "The Stanley Cup is on the 2nd floor- Sports Section".

I was in DC for a week long conference and a huge migration (purposely coordinated to overlap to make my week a slight hell). I jumped out of my seat (in the middle of a sales presentation) and told the coordinator there was an emergency, and that I would be right back.

I was actually shaking, getting a little sweaty, giddy like a school girl. I jumped in the elevator, got out on the 2nd floor and there was the crowd.

I didn't have my camera with me, so next I called our Art Director and I said "Casey- I have an emergency. The Stanley Cup is here on 2, and I have no camera." He got a hold of the deputy photo editor and they raced over. They all know how important the Stanley Cup is to me. When I left the DC office last year, they made a spoof USA WEEKEND Cover for me, where I am on the cover with Sidney Crosby of the Penquins...

I didn't want to leave the cup. I knew I had to get back to the meeting, but I also knew I most likely would never touch or see the cup in person again....

Anyway I am sitting at the airport after a ridiculous week of running around and stressing... and I am finally getting some time to look at the pictures and relive that incredible moment.

5 comments:

  1. That is friggin great! I am so jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I've seen it twice at the Hall of Fame in Toronto, but I think they have 2, the one that travels, and one that stays. The one that travels is most likely the more "real" one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are now part of an elite club :)

    ReplyDelete