Friday, February 1, 2008

U23D

Rating:★★★★★
Category:Movies
Genre: Other
Can I give this more than 5 stars?

I wanted to see the new concert movie U23D for a couple reasons. 1- I love U2, 2- I enjoyed the Vertigo tour and wanted to see concert footage.

I had heard reviews of this movie on the radio- "The First Live-Action 3D Digital Concert Movie." Wow- sounds impressive.

It was absolutely amazing, way beyond expectation. I saw this at an IMAX Theater. From what I had recalled about the old 3D movies (was that in the '80's?), I wasn't expecting Bono to jump out and sit in my lap.... Can I tell you? He did. Bono sat in my lap. Ok, maybe not exactly, but pretty darn close.

The 3D was incredible, but it wasn't just that it was in 3D. They also did some creative editing to overlay images, whether it be the band, or fans, or graphics, or words, layered over itself to really take extreme advantage of the 3D technology.

But wait, there's more. The digital surround sound. It sounded a zillion times better than the concert actually did when I saw them, and even better than the album. It was loud. **Warning- if you are someone who wears earplugs to live concerts, either bring them to this, or stay home. The sound was so loud it was all you could hear. If you wanted to chat with the person sitting next to you, forget it (but you won't want to).

I didn't want to sit too close to the screen because the last time I saw an IMAX film, I remembered feeling a little too close. So I sat mid way back. It didn't matter though, Bono was literally in my lap and would have been no matter where I sat. **Warning- if you are someone who gets dizzy sitting in the first 10 rows of a theater, this film may not be for you.

So about the footage- If you didn't already know that The Edge is a god, you will after seeing this. It will give you new appreciation for all of the band members, Adam Clayton, Larry Mullen, The Edge and of course Bono. The close ups and layered images take you all around the stage. You can drum along with Larry, you can strum the bass with Adam. It was like nothing I have ever seen before.

And if you have ever wondered how someone could shell out big bucks (over $100+) for a concert ticket, the footage of the fans explains it all. You may not be one of these people, who thoroughly appreciates a live show at any cost, singing and jumping along to every song, but there is no way you can deny the true raw feelings when you see the fans (in 3D digital clarity) swaying and screaming along to the music.

I know I had a smile on my face during the entire hour and a half (more like 1.25). If it is playing in digital IMAX 3D near you, go see it before it leaves. You will never get to see it like that again.

1 comment:

  1. OMG...is this out now?? I need to go see this. Once again, you are an amazing writer. I think you should compile ALL your articles and start shopping newspapers and magazines. You WILL get response. XOXO

    ReplyDelete